Dates: Friday 11th, Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th September 2020
Cost: £170 per person
Friday 11th September
- From 4.00pm: Arrival & registration – Plockton Village Hall
- Meet the coaches
- Tea, coffee & home baking
- 6.00pm – 8.00pm: Shonzeys Fish & Chip van – Plockton Village Hall (please pay directly)
Saturday 12th September
- From 8.00am: Late arrivals & registrations – Plockton Village Hall
- 9.30am: Welcome, introductions & briefing – Plockton Village Hall
- During day: All groups kayaking from Plockton
- From 3.30pm: Tea, coffee & home baking – Plockton Village Hall
- 4.00pm: Review of Saturday’s paddling and briefing for Sunday
- 6.00pm: Talk – Brian Wilson & Will Copestake – Let’s go round again. Solo kayak around Scotland – twice!
- 7.00pm: Dinner – 2 course meal provided by the Waterside Seafood Restaurant (included in carnival entry fee) – Plockton Village Hall
- 8.30pm: Ceilidh till late with the Incredible Fling Band and licensed bar
Sunday 13th September
- From 8.00am: Registration desk open for queries
- 9.00am: All groups paddling from different venues
- 4.00pm: Tea, coffee & home baking – Plockton Village Hall
- 4.30pm: Review of Sunday paddling & farewell
- 5.00pm: Close & depart
- Kayaking sessions with coaching, and graded to suit all levels
- Talk: Brian Wilson and Will Copestake – solo around Scotland
- Saturday night 2 course meal – provided by the Waterside Seafood Restaurant (included in carnival entry fee)
- Friday night Shonzey’s fish’n’chips (pay directly)
- Tea, Coffee & home baking: Friday, Saturday & Sunday – provided by Beth’s Coffee Shop & Delicatessen
- Ceilidh with the Incredible Fling Band & licensed bar provided by Plockton Small Boat Sailing Club
- Complementary flapjack
- Carnival T-Shirt
- Good craic!
What’s not included?
- Packed lunches
The sessions and trips will be relaxed and sociable, but also designed to progress your decision making ability and personal paddling skills for an enjoyable and safe day out on the water.
We’ll be be more specific about where the paddles will take place nearer the time when we have a weather forecast. Details will be available at registration on Friday 11th September, when you’ll be able to ‘sign up’ for your weekend kayaking choices. We’ll aim to grade the paddles to the type of water you might experience and the length of the trip – so there should be something for everyone no matter what level you’re at, where your comfort zone is, and how far you want to stretch it!
The sessions will cover all or some of the following:
- The paddling environment: Location, waves, weather conditions, tides, moving water, access
- Kit and equipment
- Safety and rescue
- Sea Kayak Skills – effective forward paddling, controlling the direction of your kayak, working as a group, dealing with mishaps, towing
There will also be some themed paddles to which our special guests and coaches will add their own flavour, for example:
- Around Scotland (but not quite) with Brian Wilson and Will Copestake
- St Kilda (reunion) with Murty Campbell and Alison French
Travel and accommodation
Travel Arrangements: Please make your own travel arrangements to the carnival. Information on getting to Plockton and details of transport can be found in our location page.
Accommodation: Please arrange your own accommodation. Provisional reservations at the Station Bunkhouse, Duirinish Lodges, and Skye Camping have been made for the nights of 11th, 12th & 13th September for carnival delegates. Should you wish to book any of these, please contact them directly stating you are a Plockton Kayak Carnival delegate:
- Station Bunkhouse: Please contact Gill Coe at the Station Bunkhouse 01599 544235 and say you are attending the Plockton Kayak Carnival
- Duirinish Lodges: Please contact Sue Atkinson at Duirinish Lodges. The following Lodges have been reserved for delegates. The cost for each is the total cost for 3 nights accommodation for the whole lodge.
- Crowlin & Eigg Lodges (4 person) – 1 double, 1 twin, 1 bath/shower room: £370
- Scalpay Lodge (4 person) – 1 double ensuite, 1 twin ensuite: £410
- Pabay Lodge (6 person) – 1 double, 1 twin, 1 twin (adult-size bunks), 1 bath/shower room: £410
- Camping – Skye: A new campsite based in Broadford with excellent facilities. 10 pitches for motorhomes and 10 pitches for camping have been reserved for the carnival for booking until the end of March, but there are up to 20 for each currently available. If you wish to reserve a pitch, please email Becky email@example.com at the campsite rather than using their online booking system.
- Other accommodation providers:
- Hotel rooms: the Plockton Inn is fully booked the weekend of 12th & 13th September, but the Plockton Hotel which is right in the heart of the village has some availability.
- For B&Bs, guest houses and other self-catering accommodation go to Visit Plockton or use other accommodation booking sites such as Airbnb.
What to bring:
- Sea kayaking equipment and clothing (we can arrange rental if you don’t have your own, please check with us before you make your booking for the carnival).
- Packed lunches for Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th September.
- Your favourite tipple to have with your meal on Saturday evening.
We appreciate that wholly unforeseen events may result in cancellation. In view of this and for your piece of mind we therefore strongly advise you to take out appropriate accident and cancellation insurance at the time of your booking.
Terms and conditions: Please see our standard terms and conditions.
Friends and Sponsors