General Expedition Information
Dates: 25th to 30th June 2024
Cost: 5 days: £900 (£300 deposit to secure your place; £600 balance to be paid 10 weeks before the trip).
Level: Intermediate & advanced sea kayakers
Number of kayakers: 6 – 8
Accommodation: Thurso Campsite & 1 night wild camping
Kayaking arrangements and information
Itinerary: The exact itinerary for the expedition is dependent on the weather forecast for the week and a plan will be made for the week when we meet.
The options and routes are many and varied, and our aim is to paddle the best sections of the north & north-east Scottish coastlines given the prevailing weather.
Useful OS Landranger maps for the week are numbers 9 (Cape Wrath), 10 (Strath Naver), 11 (Thurso & Dunbeath), 12 (Thurso & Wick) & 17 (Helmsdale & Strath of Kildonan)
Ali Rose and Alison French
We may encounter a range of weather and sea conditions so be prepared for most eventualities.
Please bring the following:
- Personal kayaking clothing and equipment, unless you have arranged rental with us (cost: see below).
- Kayak, paddle, Spraydeck, Buoyancy Aid, unless you have arranged rental with us (cost £120).
- Kayak trolley if you have one. This might be useful, but is not essential. We can provide if you don’t.
- Drybags (we will bring a few spare ones).
- Camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, stove, mug, dish, cutlery)
- Head torch, midge net, sun cream
- Clothes to be worn at camp (including warm, waterproof jacket and trousers, warm hat, shoes) toiletries, camera, book or kindle, and other personal items
- Meals, drinks and snacks for 6 days (5 breakfasts, 5 evening meals, 5 lunches)
We will bring the flapjack!
For more detailed information and advice on sleeping systems, cooking equipment and meal planning, please take a look at our Camping Notes.
Travel and meeting up arrangements:
Meeting date/time: Evening of 25th June 2024
Meeting place: Thurso Bay Caravan and Camping Park, Thurso
Travel: Transport links are excellent. By road, it’s approximately 2.5 hours from Inverness. A bus service operates from Inverness. There’s also a direct rail service from Inverness.
Finnish: 30th June 2024 – approximately 4.00pm
Accommodation: Accommodation has been booked for you at Thurso Bay Caravan and Camping Park for the nights of 25th to 28th June 2024. Please let us know if you wish to make alternative accommodation arrangements, at your own expense, while we are based in Thurso. The night of 29th June will be a wild camping night while we are on expedition. Thurso is the most northerly town in mainland Britain and is well served with shops and amenities.
Please make your own accommodation arrangements for accommodation before and after the trip if you wish to stay in the area for longer.
Hotels, Guest Houses and B&Bs can be found on the Visit Scotland