Small Isles Expedition Information
Dates: 3rd to 8th April 2024
Cost: 6 days: £960 (£320 deposit to secure your place; £640 balance to be paid 10 weeks before the trip).
Level: Intermediate & advanced sea kayakers
Number of kayakers: 4
Accommodation: 5 nights wild camping
Kayaking arrangements and information
Itinerary: The exact itinerary for the expedition is dependent on the weather forecast for the week and a plan will be made for the week when we meet.
The options and routes are many and varied, and our aim is to paddle as much of the Small Isles’ coastline as we can.
Useful OS Landranger maps for the week: number 39 (Rùm, Eigg, Muck & Canna)
Ali Rose and/or Alison French
We may encounter a range of weather and sea conditions so be prepared for most eventualities.
Please bring the following:
- Personal kayaking clothing and equipment, unless you have arranged rental with us (cost: see below).
- Kayak, paddle, Spraydeck, Buoyancy Aid, unless you have arranged rental with us (cost £120).
- Kayak trolley if you have one. This might be useful, but is not essential. We can provide if you don’t.
- Drybags (we will bring a few spare ones).
- Camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, stove, mug, dish, cutlery)
- Head torch, midge net, sun cream
- Clothes to be worn at camp (including warm, waterproof jacket and trousers, warm hat, shoes) toiletries, camera, book or kindle, and other personal items
- Meals, drinks and snacks for 6 days (5 breakfasts, 6 evening meals, 6 lunches)
We will bring the flapjack!
For more detailed information and advice on sleeping systems, cooking equipment and meal planning, please take a look at our Camping Notes.
Travel and meeting up arrangements:
Meeting date/time: 9.00am 3rd April 2024
Meeting place: Long stay car park (free), Mallaig. The car park is before the ferry terminal, next to the community centre.
Travel: By road, it’s approximately 2.5 hours from Inverness, and 1 hour from Fort William. Rail: There’s a direct rail service from Fort William. We will arrange all ferry tickets.
Finnish: 8th April 2024 – approximately 7.00pm
Accommodation: Wild camping throughout the trip. If there are any campsite fees while on the Small Isles we will cover them.
Please make your own accommodation arrangements for accommodation before and after the trip.
Hotels, Guest Houses and B&Bs can be found on the Visit Scotland