General Expedition Information
Dates: Wednesday 3rd – Monday 8th April 2024 (6 days)
Cost: £960 (£320 deposit required at the time of booking, with the balance payable 10 weeks prior to the trip).
Number of kayakers: maximum 4 plus 1 qualified guide; maximum 8 plus 2 qualified guides.
Accommodation: Wild camping.
Kayaking arrangements and information
Itinerary: The exact itinerary for the expedition is dependent on the weather forecast for the week and a plan is made on the morning of departure once we have this.
The options and routes are many and varied, and our aim is to paddle as much of the Small Isles’ coastline given the prevailing weather. If the conditions are suitable, the trip will include open crossings out to and in between the islands. If the conditions aren’t suitable for this, the Small Isles are well served by Calmac ferries.
Useful OS Landranger maps for the expedition are numbers 39 (Rum, Eigg, Muck & Canna), 40 (Mallaig & Glenfinnan).
We may encounter a range of weather and sea conditions so be prepared for most eventualities.
Please bring the following:
- Personal kayaking clothing and equipment, unless you have arranged rental with us (cost: see below).
- Kayak, paddle, Spraydeck, Buoyancy Aid, unless you have arranged rental with us (cost £120).
- Kayak trolley if you have one. We can provide if you don’t.
- Drybags (we will bring a few spare ones).
- Camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, stove, mug, dish, cutlery)
- Head torch, midge net, sun cream
- Clothes to be worn at camp (including warm, waterproof jacket and trousers, warm hat, shoes) toiletries, camera, book or kindle, and other personal items
- Meals, drinks and snacks for 6 days (5 breakfasts, 5 evening meals, 6 lunches)
We will bring the flapjack!
For more detailed information and advice on sleeping systems, cooking equipment and meal planning, please take a look at our Camping Notes.
Travel and meeting up arrangements:
Meeting date/time: Wednesday 3rd April 2024
Meeting place: Mallaig Long stay car park, Mallaig PH41 4QD
Travel: Transport links are excellent. By road, it’s approximately 1 hour from Fort William . A bus service operates from Fort William and there is a rail link from Glasgow and Fort William.
Return: Monday 8th April 2023 – 7.00pm (if we return using the ferry), earlier if the conditions are suitable to paddle back.
Accommodation: Please make your own accommodation arrangements for Tuesday 2nd April and also at the end of the trip when the expedition finishes.
Hotels, Guest Houses and B&Bs can be found at Visit Scotland