Do you want to lead sea kayakers on coastal journeys?
Do you want to support your club or organisation leading trips?
If so, the Sea Kayak Leader award could be for you!
What can a Sea Kayak Leader do?
The primary role of the leader is to supervise, or facilitate safe, quality, enjoyable trips/sessions based on their groups needs and aspirations. Specifically a Sea Kayak Leader can lead a group on moderate tidal or non-tidal sea. This includes a stretch of coastline with some areas where it is not easy to land but there will always be straightforward landing points a maximum of 2 nautical miles apart; crossings not exceeding 2 nautical miles; up to 2 knots of tide (but not involving tide races or overfalls); wind strengths do not exceed Beaufort force 4; launching and landing through surf (up to 1 metre, trough to crest height).
Informal learning, experience based learning and an availability of individualised choices are important to developing skilled Leaders. We provide optional Leadership training to support you in your development of the required skills.
All Sea Kayak Leaders will require:
- Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning
- Valid (within 3 years) British Canoeing recognised first aid award, appropriate for the qualification
- Valid (within 3 years) Safeguarding training
- SCA membership
- Qualification Registration once the above pre-requisites are in place
To help with your progression to sea kayak leader assessment, we offer training which covers the following:
- Boat handling skills in sea kayaks
- Leadership training in moderate sea conditions
- Safety and rescue techniques in moderate sea conditions
- Coastal navigation skills (practical afloat and shore based classroom or online)
Sea Kayak Leader Training
£250 per person
Sea Kayak Leader Assessment
£250 per person